Water In Your Basement? Ways To Curb Moisture And Mold

Don't overlook a damp basement; this could be a sign of something far worse- mold. If you live near the water or in an inherently damp climate, it is worth the investment to do something to protect your house against water damage and subsequent mold. Mold is much worse than the off-putting smell; mold can compromise the structural integrity of your house and even make those living there quite ill.

Things to know about water damage and mold include:

Your foundation is porous.

Most home foundations are made of concrete, which is a porous material. Over time, any water that is in the ground can seep through the concrete walls of your basement or crawl-space. This will eventually deteriorate and decay the concrete, which could pose structural issues, too.

Mold causes illness.

Breathing in mold spores can contribute to respiratory illness, especially among young children and the elderly. It may also trigger allergic reactions, resulting in cold-like symptoms and breathing difficulties. If you suspect you have mold in your home, address it promptly to protect your family's health.

You can waterproof your basement.

Contractors can build sub-floors and even sub-walls to act as an additional barrier against water and moisture from getting in to your home and living spaces. These can be done by water restoration experts in such a way that you lose very little square-footage, and you protect your entire home from deterioration and potential damage.

How's your downspout?

A common culprit of a flooded basement might be your rain-gutters, particularly your downspout. If these are not positioned properly, they could be pushing water down toward the porous walls of your home's foundation. Take care to point them away from your home to avoid water from pooling near the concrete and seeping near your home's structure.

The smell can linger.

The distinct musty smell of a wet basement can be of-putting, but you don't have to suffer with it. Combine a half-cup of bleach to a gallon of hot water for a cleaning solution that will eventually erode the odor. If your basement or home are inherently damp, fill open-containers with kitty litter to absorb the excess moisture in the air.

Don't risk water damage and potential mold. If you live in a wet climate, take steps to ensure water isn't seeping in to your home's foundation, fostering the perfect place for mold to grow. Talk with water damage contractors and experts to discuss ways that you can protect your house from these perils. 


Share